Salt Effects: 7 key points
- Sprinkle salt on damp washes (not soaking)
- Salt creates a crystalline pattern as it absorbs the wet paint-- and the pigments separate
- Different salts have different effects-- try rock salt, kosher salt and table salt
- Different papers have different effects! try this on hot pressedn, cold pressed, rough and smooth papers!
- Brush the salt off after it has dried!
- Build up elaborate textures with layers of washes and salt
- Try adding a little salt to your wash before applying it to the paper for a delicate textured effect over the entire wash area
How do you create sand in your watercolor paintings? Would you give this technique a try?
|Want to learn more techniques like these?|
In Watercolor Textures, an online video
ecourse, you will discover the confidence
to create your own landscape painting
in your own style.
→ Learn more about this online class
other blog posts you might like:
Download your FREE ultimate watercolor supply list
to get the exact list of paints, brushes and paper I use everyday to create my watercolors!