Thursday, February 13, 2014

Harmony Oatmeal to Control Hunger

oatmeal recipe
My own recipe for Harmony Oatmeal
will keep you feeling full and balanced all day.

Benefits of Harmony Oatmeal by @schulmanArt, Miriam Schulman

I am very petite, so like most women of my stature I have to work very hard to watch what I eat so the weight doesn't creep up. My sister, another petite person, shared with me a great book called the Petite Advantage Diet. The author, Jim Karas touts that numerous studies have shown that the larger your breakfast the smaller the waistline. He also offers oatmeal as a suggestion for one of your morning meals. I adapted his recipe, adding some ingredients and taking others out, and came up with this very delicious blend that I call "Harmony Oatmeal" Prior to this, I always ate my oatmeal smothered with brown sugar, salt, butter and cooked in milk. This recipe allows me to enjoy oatmeal without added processed sugars or salt and best of all I have found that when I eat this in the morning I can control my eating for the rest of the day. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and besides being helpful in weight loss it is really, really good for you! Check out all the health benefits of everything in this oatmeal!


With Omega-3 fatty acids this seed contains lots of fiber and has been shown to reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. In addition, flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods. Lignans are a very powerful ingredient that has been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer and may also increase the survival of breast cancer patients. All this is great but what I love most about flaxseeds are they way they stick to the insides of my intestines which keep me from getting hungry!

Sunflower Seeds:

A handful of sunflower seeds will take care of your hunger, while also enhancing your health by supplying significant amounts of vitamin E, magnesium and selenium.So, a tablespoon of these yummy crunchy seeds are part of the morning oatmeal.


A must have in any oatmeal recipe, cinnamon brings out a natural sweetness. Numerous studies show that cinnamon regulates blood sugar, making it a great choice for diabetics and hypoglycemics alike.  That’s also great news for anyone who wants stable energy levels and moods. Cinnamon is also a great aid for those who get mentrual cramps! Again, I like it because it keeps me satisfied longer.

Like this? Why don't you pin it?


I just feel I have to add raisins for sweetness. You will notice there is no added processed sugar, articfial sweetners, salt or butter in my oatmeal so the raisins are importrant. Considered "nature's candy" raisins do add lots of health benefits. Eating raisins promotes the efficient absorption of vitamins, proteins and other nutrients in your body. Therefore, they also help in building up your immune system. Moreoever, raisins are a rich source of calcium, which is necessary to strengthen bones and teeth.  If you are a postmenopausal woman, raisins are a good snack for you because the calcium and boron present in them help prevent the development of osteoporosis. In addition, raisins are rich in iron and copper, which are necessary in the formation of red blood cells. Raisins also help to correct iron deficiency anemia.

Microwave for 3 minutes

Oatmeal :

For the tastiest and healthiest oatmeal, only the slow cooking old fashioned kind will do, but it only takes three minutes to pop this in the microwave. Oatmeal provides high levels of fiber, low levels of fat, and high levels of protein which all contribute to curbing your appetite.

Almond Butter:

Not only does this pack a lot of flavor and stick to your ribs but almond butter is emerging as the healthier alternative to peanut butter. Almond butter is good for your heart, lowering blood pressure, rich in antioxidants and best of all controls your appetite.

Question: What do you like to eat for breakfast?