Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Get inspired by things that give you joy

Quit Your Day Job: interview with Phonechay Baker

I met Phonechay Baker while taking an online business course and was impressed with her easy mix of urban and country in her knit wear. What started off as a way to  raise a little extra cash for her wedding has now grown into a full time business, Phonechay's Creations.

boot cuffs
Country and Urban Come together in the fashion of Phonechay Baker

SchulmanArt: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Phonechay Baker: I was born in Laos. I immigrated to California when I was 5 years old. At age 13, I moved to Vermont. My parents wanted to move my younger brother and I from the city to something more rural and safe. I now reside in Durham, NC. I have been here for 5 years. This had influenced me as an artist in many different ways. You can see the city, fashion and trendy in me. Yet, there is also a side full of hippy, whimsy and one of a kind, artist in me too. I have the best of both worlds.

SchulmanArt: Who taught you how to knit? Phonechay Baker: My great grandmother taught me how to knit when I was very young; 7-8 years old. I taught myself how to sew and crochet in the last few years. I love all things yarn. It is relaxing for me. I have becoming really fast at crocheting over the years. I love to come up with a design or idea and see it come alive. That is rewarding for me. My mom has also always been the DYI person. She sews, knits, makes food from scratch. That has influenced me in a good way. I strive to be DYI like her.

League of Legends knit hat
League of Legends knit hat
SchulmanArt:  How do you get inspired and stay focused? 
PB: I am inspired by things that give me joy. I love the game League of Legends. It is something that I play with my husband and brother. I am so in love with the characters that I play that I want to bring them alive by making a hat inspired from it. It makes me happy to wear such silly/geeky hats when I go out into town. It is a great conversation starter too!

Staying focused is a hard one! I write a to-do list of things I need and want to work on each week. I have it printed and posted on my wall and as well as on my computer background to help me remember what I need and want to do.

I watch movies while I knit. Sometimes, I get so focused on kntting/crochet that I forget to have lunch and lost track of time!

Designer Phonechay wearing her own infinity scarf, connect with her on facebook!
SchulmanArt: I have that problem too, since my studio is in my home I have trouble setting boundaries with my work. How do you do it?
PB: I will continue until my husband comes home from work and that is when I know to wrap up my work day. If they weather is permitting, I will go for an evening walk. Then I make dinner and spend the night with my husband, watching a movie or playing video games.