Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Road Trip to Oneonta, New York

Lots of Artsy Goodness in this upstate New York college town
blog post by @schulmanArt, Miriam Schulman
Autumn Cafe on Main Street in Oneonta
pick a table in the shade
Last weekend we drove up to see our daughter perform at New York Summer Music Festival which is hosted on SUNY's Oneonta campus. I was looking forward to hearing the music she had been working on but as we passed through the picturesque farm towns I got excited about the prospect of exploring this upstate town which is just outside of Cooperstown, NY. Let me tell you, even if you have no reason to go up, Oneonta is reason enough. This town is chock full of artsy goodness. Friday night we drove into town and were fortunate to pick the Autumn Cafe to eat an early dinner. We chose the restaurant simply because it had the word "cafe" in the title. (really!) But you will choose this restaurant because I am telling you that it was awesome. The menu seemed ordinary enough...burgers, salads, sandwiches....HOWEVER, everything was made from start to finish right there with locally sourced ingredients. I mean the bread was freshly baked with rich butter and my omelet had only in season vegetables straight from the neighborhood farms. This place is truly a farm to table experience, with super nice waitresses and the owner is an aging hippies from Long Island. We liked it so much we came back the next day and sat on the back deck. More good food, and fresh home made ice tea.

Green Toad Bookstore in Oneonta
Main street is pretty active with lots of artistic shops. You won't want to miss the Green Toad Bookstore with its adjacent bakery and coffee shop. I loved the center of the store which featured mixed media artists and also these gorgeous handcrafted earrings that look like little books made out of...what else... books!
Miniature Book earrings by Corey Anne Sharer
Of course I HAD to buy a pair for my 15 yr old daughter, They were wrapped up for me in an origami box with a little note from the artist, Corey Anne Sharer. Just darling! I looked her up online and she is another etsy seller so you must visit her etsy shop and get these earrings which come in a plethora of colors and are only $18.

Artisans' Guild

I also loved the Artisan's Guild which is a not for profit artist cooperative featuring handmade items from local artists: pottery, paper goods, greetings cards, soaps, woodenware, jewelry, and other trinkets. I picked up the best smelling bar of soap.

The Vinyl Vault
After all the artsy shopping, I hoped that one of the used bookstores or thrift shops had records for sale since collecting them is one of my husband's hobbies. What we found was even better-- a whole store of record albums called the Vinyl Vault. I am sure that we rung up the biggest sale of the day as we happily left with an armload of records.

Oneonta, New York is home to Hartwick College, SUNY Oneonta, and the NYSMF - New York Summer Music Festival. A community infused with intelligent and passionate individuals, where culture abounds in its numerous art, music, and theater organizations.

 mentioned on this blog: @CityOneonta @SUNY_Oneonta @nysmf  @HartwickCollege @CoryAnneSharer

Planning a road trip this summer? Tell me about it!!!