Monday, March 11, 2013

my heart remains near the sea

Interview with artist Jennifer Beaudet (@jbeaudetartist) by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanArt

Jennifer working at her easel- Follow her blog for her latest paintings
schulmanArt: How do you think your childhood has influenced you as an artist?
Jennifer Beaudet: I'm from Southern California and was lucky enough to grow up within walking distance ( a long walk but still...) to the beach. I spent my childhood on the sand and in the waves. Every morning before high school my boyfriend and I would stop by the beach to check out the waves and look for dolphins. Growing up in that beautiful place has had a great influence on my art. I love the ocean and find myself going back to that theme in my paintings quite often.

schulmanArt: Where did you study art?
JB: I studied studio art right out of high school at El Camino College. I earned my A.A. degree, but didn't start painting professionally until after my daughter was grown and on her way to college. While in school I apprenticed with a pastel landscape artist who taught me so much about color harmony and design. He also gave me an inside view of the life of a professional artist and I knew that I wanted that for myself someday.

Original Art for sale on etsy
schulmanArt: How has your art evolved since then? 
JB: I love oil paints. The texture and depth of color cannot be matched. Their buttery consistency allows me to express my emotions more than any other medium I've tried. I've started using a palette knife for most of my paintings and am enjoying not having to clean brushes! That's the only thing I don't like about oil. I had to teach myself to paint with oils because when I was in college I only took watercolor courses. I learned the most from books from other oil painters like Kevin Mcpherson. I'm always learning and hope to someday take a workshop in person, but for now I occasionally participate in Richard Robinson's online workshops and am always learning and evolving.

Beaudet is active on pinterest and twitter
schulmanArt: Do you create your art in series? 
JB: I have a hard time staying focused on one subject. I keep meaning to do a complete series of about ten paintings of one subject, but somehow get sidetracked and end up changing my focus to something else. I get inspired all the time by so many things. I love beautiful things in nature like trees and flowers and of course the ocean! The only problem I have is deciding just what to paint next because I have so many ideas in my head. I like to sketch my ideas on a notepad so I don't forget them.

schulmanArt: Describe a typical day for you. 
JB: My typical day always starts with a cup of nice strong coffee and computer time. Sometimes I spend a little too much time there! (facebook fan page is JBeaudetStudios) Then, it's painting time, and other business tasks. I take time throughout the day to check emails and do some social media tasks. I don't have a set schedule and it changes depending on the night. Sometimes I paint 'til almost 10 but most days I stop to make dinner around 5 and spend time with family.

  • SOLD
schulmanArt: What is your studio space like? 
JB: I have a dedicated room where I store all my paintings and supplies but my easel is set up in my great room. I use my beautiful oak dining table that my mom gave but manage to keep it relatively paint free. I have floor to ceiling windows looking out onto my deck, pine trees, and snow capped mountains in the distance. It's very peaceful and allows for great lighting.

I am currently living in the mountains of Northern California. It's also an amazingly beautiful place, an artist's dream. Yet, my heart still remains near the sea and dream about moving somewhere near it in the future.