Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I am always focused on art - it requires no effort on my part

Interview with artist Cathy Bluteau 
by @schulmanArt, Miriam Schulman

Journal & Mixed Media kits for sale in her etsy shop~
SchulmanArt: How long have you been selling professionally and on Etsy?
Cathy Bluteau: I have been selling on etsy since 2008 and very recently, March 1 2013, have become a full time artist. It took me my whole lifetime to realize that this is what I should be doing.

SchulmanArt: Did your family encourage you to be an artist?
Cathy Bluteau: I am a Montrealer born and raised here. I come from a family of creatives, my mother an Irish women and my father a French Canadian - a combination that is prevalent in Montreal, Quebec. Although both my parents held non-creative jobs their everyday expressions of art either through sewing & decorating our home (my mom) or building the pieces of furniture, shelving, seating (my dad) that my mother envisioned. my parents, without meaning to influenced me as an artist greatly. I think that creativity is in the genes and so this has been passed on to my 14 year old son who tends to be very creative (although don't tell him I told you that). He has yet to understand the way he will use this creativity.

SchulmanArt: What is your studio space like?
CB: Currently my studio space is in the basement of my home but it is a beautiful and large space with buttercup yellow walls and lots of shelves for stacking "stuff". My goal is to have a studio outside of my home where I could work and sell items at the same time. This I am hoping can happen in the next year.

SchulmanArt: What is your favorite art material? 
CB: Paper is what mostly inspires me as today it comes in so many forms, colors and textures. If I had nothing else I would have to have paper.

SchulmanArt: What is your most popular item?
CB: My most popular items have been my handmade journals and my paper kits. My items change frequently depending on what my current obsession is. Today (and the last few months) my obsession has been collage, and mixed media paper house pieces.

Follow Cathy's art blog!
SchulmanArt: What sparks your imagination?
CB: Anything at all can inspire me. A look out the window, a color on a blouse, texture on a wall. I realize now that I do not need to be disciplined to do this. It is in my bones, in my heart and in my soul. I am always focused on art - it requires no effort on my part.

Cool finds spotted on etsy today!!