Thursday, January 3, 2013

Artist Interview with Hannah Oud-Biemold

Cloth Paper Scissors!
by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanArt
Artist Hannah Oud-Biemold at work in her studio
SchulmanArtHow long have you been selling professionally and on etsy?
Find this and other of Hannah's designs on etsy!
I've been selling my art actively since 2003 and only this summer (2012) I started my shop on Etsy, first with art and later with clothes and accessoiries. Next year I want to start another shop with my paper art.

SchulmanArt: What is your favorite medium to work in?

Follow her blog! :

In the 90's I studied to be a goldsmith and just before that I did a two year course with a tailor in his studio. In the years after I developed myself and the last two years I self study through books and video's. My favorite medium is still paper as it's so versatile! You can cut it, paint it, fold it, tear it, crease it and burn it. If you know the meaning of the Dutch word 'vuurpapier' you can now guess where it comes from (vuur=fire, papier=paper). I also like fabric, leather and tyvek.

SchulmanArtHow do you get inspired?
I get inspiration from small things that happen to me or what I read in the papers, see in movies. I already have a garment in my head when I feel and see a certain fabric on the market or in a store, I just need to draw the pattern and start cutting and sewing. I am very much inspired by the 30's (bias cut!) and 50's (rockabilly dresses!). It's difficult to stay focussed because of all the ideas in my head, therefore I hardly continue working on one project for hours in a row, I do different things during a day.

SchulmanArtDescribe a typical day for you.
I'm not a morning person so I get up around 9:00 AM, then I have coffee and start on planning the day, doing some administration and e-mail, check the teams I'm in on Etsy, sometimes also my statistics and keywords. When the light is good, when it's a bright day, I take photo's of finished projects for the webshop. Later on I start on some projects or I have some students coming over for my sewing course so the personal projects have to wait. I am trying to work on photo's in photoshop in the evening and upload them to different media and participate in discussions on Etsy and FaceBook.

SchulmanArt: What is your studio space like?
My studio is in my apartment, it's about 3.5 by 3.5 meters and I look over the gardens of the neighbours, I don't have a garden, just a balcony. The walls are full of pictures and drawings and clothes.

Discover all the fines artists crafting on etsy!!

What crafts can do with cloth paper & scissors on etsy!

twitter name: @vuurpapier, @artgrrl