advice for life by Miriam Schulman, @SchulmanArt
|Decorate Your Own Soul|
|Magic is Believing in Yourself|
|Live by What you Believe|
Here is what I wished I had known when I was in high school and college...
- The world will change in ways you can not even imagine. There will be different jobs available in the future that don't exist now so don't worry about what you are going to study in college. Just study what you are passionate about. I did eventually switch my major from engineering to Art History and made engineering my minor; however, there were no eCommerce jobs when I was in college so I couldn't even have imagined selling my art on the internet. The world is continually changing and there will be different opportunities 20 years from now as well that don't exist today. Successful people continually reinvent themselves. I don't think Steve Jobs said to himself when he was sixteen, "When I grow up I am going to invent the ipad"
- College is not vocational school. Use that as your mantra whenever well meaning friends and relatives ask you what you plan to do with your philosophy major. You are getting an education and learning how to write and think so that your ideas can rock the world.
- Beer is very fattening.
- Pay attention and be present. If you are continually wishing to move time forward then there is something wrong with what you are doing or your attitude. I offhandedly mentioned to my Drama club's adviser that I couldn't wait until finals were over. He very sternly told me never to wish for time to pass. That message didn't sink in until the following year when he died of AIDs.
- Research your options carefully. .... I wish someone has said to me "Just because your father went to Dartmouth and you think you have the best chance getting in there doesn't mean you should apply early decision without at least visiting the college first." (like what I did...)
- Don't waste energy being jealous. You never know the ending of other people's stories. My best friend had a boyfriend in high school and I didn't. Guess what..he was gay and came out of the closet in college. By the way, you also don't always know the real beginnings and the middles of other people's stories.
- Be Yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
- B and C students rule the world. Straight A students are very good academics-- that means they would make excellent professors. The most important skills in life do not get graded.
- You can always change your mind! Life is wonderful, beautiful and crazy but most importantly unpredictable. Be prepared to change. Dream but always Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable.
- Your life is a canvas. We all have the opportunity to be creative with our lives. Your life is the greatest masterpiece you will make.
|If you Believe You Can, Then you really will|
|SOLD, cards and calendars available with this design|