Monday, March 26, 2012

Gluten Free Gourmet Macarons For Passover!

Edible Artworks
~blog post by @schulmanArt, Miriam Schulman

In this weekly artisan feature, we speak with Andrea Latimer of  Salt City Bakery!

SchulmanArt: How long have you been baking?
Andrea Latimer: I have been baking custom cakes and confections since late 2007, but I didn't officially start my business, both cakes and what I do on etsy, until 2009.

How did you learn to make macarons? They look so difficult...
You're right, macarons are incredibly difficult and time consuming to make, but they are so beautiful and taste so amazing that I will never stop doing them. They really are a true piece of edible art! A few years ago I was lucky enough to go to Paris and was inspired by the variety of pastries there (that was also the first time I had eaten a macaron). When I came home I researched recipes/techniques online and in baking books I own and now am using my own recipe.

Find out more on her facebook fan page
Do you use a recipe or do you make it up using other sources for inspiration?
I get inspiration from everything really, magazines, cookbooks, fashion-especially with cakes. All the recipes I use are either handed down from family members or they're variations of different recipes I have experimented with and have made into my own.

What else do you like to cook or bake?
My boyfriend is the cook in our house and he's amazing at it, so I leave all the cooking up to him. I do love coming up with savory baked goods, like scones and biscuits and want to learn more about the art of bread making.

Andrea also writes a blog!
What rituals do you have to get ready to create?
I am a very organized and obsessive. I go over everything in my head before I even get started in the kitchen. I am also a very clean person, I can't stand having a messy kitchen so I always clean as I go. Music and baking go hand in hand for me. I cannot bake without music. I've played the guitar since I was 12 years old so music has always been a big part of my life. I listen to everything from Bob Dylan to Ellie Goulding.
What is your cooking space like?
I love my kitchen space, it's just the right size for what I am doing now. My view is of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains and my herb/veggie garden.

What's your best selling item?
My best selling item is definitely the french macarons; probably the chocolate mocha ones and during the summer I sell a lot of the strawberry ones (both with the vanilla and lemon centers).

Order by April 1st for Passover and Easter Delivery!
check out all my Passover Decor and Easter Decor as well as crafts from talented etsy artists!