Friday, January 20, 2012

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd

Feeling Sheepish
by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanArt

Working on a new series of animal art: Sheep!
Last week I completed a series of chicken paintings ( and one already sold!) This week I was feeling slightly sheepish as I turned to a different barnyard animal. The humble sheep is wonderful to paint as the white wooly coat contrasts so beautifully with everything around it. I also love finding colors in white. The series is nearly complete and should be posted for sale this weekend or early next week.

Floral watercolor began life as a class demonstration
Competing for my attention are my weekly watercolor classes. I teach two times a week. Once in my Scarsdale studio and also at a local  continuing education program. For the class I like to do demonstrations. This week for the class I wanted to focus on flowers so I did a demonstration of these gorgeous persimmon colored blossoms. The tangerine colored flowers contrast beautifully against the warm yellow ochres and cedar green leaves. I was inspired by my beginnings and couldn't wait to get home and finish the painting in my studio. The painting is done, but it does take me a while to get it ready for a listing. I like to show this kind of art in a room setting so the art collector can imagine the painting in their own home.

As usual.. these is a portrait commission on the easel
As always there is usually a commission or two in the wings. This month I was asked to do a portrait as a wedding gift. The photo was supplied to me by the aunt of the groom and was taken by professional wedding photographer Chris Jorda.

“Only in art will the lion lie down with the lamb, and the rose grow without thorn”. Martin Amis