Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Hands Crave Clay

Interview with Self-Taught Ceramist Debbie Limoli
by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanArt

Tea pot available by commission through CUSTOMCRITTER
SchulmanArt: Where you are from and how does your environment influence your designs?
Debbie Limoni: I live in a woodsy part of New Jersey. Nature and animals have always influenced my design. I am an absolute animal nut. I love them all! 
SchulmanArt: How long have you been creating pottery? 
DL: I have been sculpting seriously the past 3 years.
SchulmanArt: How do you supplement your living as an artist? 
DL: I manage properties, and help with out with handicapped riding. Horses are my favorite animals but I find them most difficult to sculpt. In addition, I am still involved in raising my two sons.

Set of Two Penguin Sculpture

SchulmanArt: How do you balance your art making with your family life? 
DL:  I do my art in the family room so that I can spend time  with family and kids. I have two extremes going on: a senior in Princeton and a smart autistic son. 

SchulmanArt: What routine do you follow to stay disciplined? 
DL: I am a night owl and sometimes sculpt until 2am . I have no problem being disciplined to sculpt, it is everything else that get pushed aside, my hands crave clay.  I have recently bought my own kiln.

Email Debbie Limoli to get a smilebox video!
SchulmanArt: Are any of your pieces functional? 
DL: I do many pitchers, teapots, dishes vases and wall hangings. One time I was sculpting a dog named Owen, his owner wanted to have him stuffed when he died. I talked him into a sculpture instead! Anyway Owen passed while I was working on it, and I felt like he was watching over me telling me a little of this a little less of that! 

How do you balance artistic passions with your personal and family needs?