Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Inspired by NYC

Interview with Artist Blair Jost
by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanArt 

Photo by Blair Jost
SchulmanArt: How long have you been an artist?
Blair Jost: If you ask my mother she would say all my life. She's the one who always embraced my creativity. In the last year or two I've decided that I wanted to do it for a living.

SchulmanArt: What are your inspirations?
Blair: Man, I'm inspired by everything! NYC is a very inspiring place to live as well. I'm lucky to live there. I get inspired mostly from other artists.

Fan SockMonkey on Facebook!
SchulmanArt: What is your best selling item? What type of custom orders do you do??
Blair: I actually have two stores on Etsy. Entertaining ornaments started as just ornaments, but after the holidays I have all sorts of Ideas for Map related jewelery and other things. I created a NYC map bangle for a friend of mine for her birthday. I will probably add it to the shop after the holidays. As of right now, the star ornaments are the most popular. I've done a few custom orders. Someone wanted an ornament with the Chicago L on it. Luckily, I had a friend who lives there and sent me some maps. My other shop Sockmonkeys4everyone is all greeting cards with a sock monkey I take pictures with.

Check out all things Blair at
SchulmanArt: What rituals do you have to get ready to create?
Blair: I live in a small NYC apartment. My apartment is my studio/Living room/Dining room.  I'm a starving artist. But my whole apartment must be clean before I can create. Everything put away. Dishes done. NO TV, just music. Depends on my mood, but usually I listen to classic rock when I create. Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cold play.

Tweet Blair @s0ckmonkee
SchulmanArt: What is the view out your window?
Blair:  I have a killer view of my street which is in the East village of NYC. Very artsy part of town. Always something going on outside my window.

Serious gift ideas for the little monkeys!!!