Monday, November 28, 2011

Romantic French Accessory Designer:

Julie Gautier of Jolie Jye
by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanArt.

etsy :
SchulmanArt: How does your roots influence you as a designer?
Julie Gautier: I was born in a little countryside town 125 miles outside of Paris. Now I live between Paris and my city of birth. Of course Paris is so much better to live as an artist!

SchulmanArt: How long have you been designing clothes?

Julie Gautier: When I was young, I drew dresses for my dolls. I've created my first website to show off my creations when I was 16.  I'm now 26 and still doing the same: designing one of a kind accessories and outfits for women, and still follow my inspirations to offer people my knowledge. I've chosen the name Jye© for my art when I was 15. I am proud to still design under this brand now.

blog :
SchulmanArt: Where did you study art and design?
Julie Gautier: I am a self-taught artist. I've taken some art class but never enjoyed to stay in the lines. I've learned sewing from my mother's skills. She's a wonderful seamstress.

SchulmanArt: What are your inspirations?

Julie Gautier: My inspiration comes from nature. I love natural fabrics like silk or cotton and natural pigments. I also love the French glamor from the 50's, with all those polka dot prints. Creating modern vintage with true vintage materials is usually my goal. Japan has been a huge inspiration for me too. I enjoy integrating origami into the sewing. The folds enhances the fabric with special reflections which I love so much.

SchulmanArt: What routines do you have to get ready to create?
JG: I prefer creating in silence. It's better for my concentration. I love music, but I really can't be disturbed or my inspiration disappears! I gather all my materials, check my fabrics, take my favorites, start to think... And I have some kind of flash which makes me see what I'm going to create.

SchulmanArt: What is your studio space like?

JG: I work at home. From the window I can see our garden, the autumn shades on trees, some sunlight which is coming in. I love to see the nature when I create, it gives me motivation and inspiration. 

facebook fan page :
Schulman:  Do you come from a creative family?
JG: My family is very creative. My brother is a great artist who's doing paint and photography. My mother is as I've said a great seamstress. My father is good at drawing. My husband draws a little too, and he's so good at photography. He's the one who takes pictures of my creations !

Schulman: Who is your customer?

JG: I especially love to create for brides. They are always looking to be unique on the most beautiful day of their life. I am here to answer all of their expectations with correct measurements for accessories or lingerie. 

When a customer tells me he is happy with my creation, that means a lot for me, that even makes my inspiration growing. I really care of my customer's happiness and try to offer them the best service, because everyone's unique.

mentioned in this article @