Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Passion for Details brings a House to Life

House Portrait Made to Order with all the Trimmings
by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanArt

Order your House Painting from Photo!
The fun and the challenge of creating art commissions is delivering to the client exactly what they imagine. When I am given a detailed photo and asked to copy it exactly my work is straight forward and easy. In the digital age, you would think my work would be made easier but now that everyone  has cameras on their cell phones and pictures from the internet can be easily downloaded from facebook I am quite often handed a photo that is very small in size so that when I try to print it out large enough to see the details the image is pixelated. This was the case with my most recent commission. The client did have many other high resolution photos of the details so i was able to add them in. in addition to the challenge of a blurry photo the client also wanted me to add in loons ( not in the photos), a red boat ( not in photo), flowers, her dog and a flag. Oh boy. But in the end, I rose to the challenge.

First, I showed her the drawing to make sure I had all the details that she wanted....
Work in in Progress photo of House Portrait
 Once the drawing was established and approved I breathed a little easier because the painting is the most relaxing and enjoyable part of the portrait process when the magic of color bring the house alive. The client loved the finished painting so much that she plans to use the painting on her holiday cards this year. I enjoyed working on this but I do hope that my next commission has a better starting digital image!