Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gladiator Chic

Jeanie Lisenby of House of Genie
Interview with Designer Jeanie Lisenby
by Miriam Schulman, @schulmanart

SchulmanArt: How long have you been an artist?

Jeanie Lisenby: As long as I can remember I have been creating things. I once made inch worms out of my brother's leftover faux fur and sold them to my friends at school.

SchulmanArt: Where did you study art?

Jeanie Lisenby:I had a few great art teachers in grade school, mentors that shared their knowledge, and I studied at The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York.

What are your inspirations?

Jeanie Lisenby:Everything is fair game, but current events and things that have happend to me personally provide the greatest inspiration.

SchulmanArt: What has been your most exciting moment as an artist?

Jeanie Lisenby: When I see someone that really likes my art. If they like it enough to buy it or wear it that gives me great satisfaction.

Dress, lamp and artwork all designed by House of Genie on etsy

SchulmanArt: What music do you listen to while you create?

Jeanie Lisenby: I like a quite and tranquil space, but I do listen to music often when I create. I have a very wide musical taste, but enjoy jazz, lounge, or alternative/dance depending on my mood.

SchulmanArt:     What is your studio space like?

Jeanie Lisenby: My "studio" is an upstairs bedroom and I sometimes do work at the bar area downstairs. My dream is to someday have a space with a view.

SchulmanArt:     Do you have any pets and do they keep you company while you create?

Jeanie Lisenby: Cats! I have a cat family that helps me do everything from creating art to making coffee! They are involved in every part of my life and provide me with sense of peace and tranquility.

What defines Gladiator Chic for you?