Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Animal Expressionist

Buy her original art and prints on
Interview with Artist Alison Fennell
by Miriam Schulman

SchulmanArt: Where did you study art? -
Alison Fennell: At aged 14 I was advised to not waste a qualification in Art and so dropped it to study history instead. I did a French degree at University but always loved looking at paintings in galleries and museums. Finally in 1993 I followed an adult course twice a week for 6 months and since then I have self-taught from experimentation, constant practice and videos and books.

SchulmanArt: What are your inspirations? -
Alison Fennell:Animal expressions and the drama caused by light and shade as they play on any subject. Colour also excites me especially when I paint florals.

Become Allison's fan on facebook
SchulmanArt: What has been your most exciting moments as an artist?
Alison Fennell:This September I was featured in the UK national magazine Easy Living and it has brought so many more collectors to my gallery! Also to have 2 of my works exhibited at the Royal Cambrian Academy annual exhibition in 2001. My work was selected by a jury headed by the Late Sir Kyffin Williams - a prominent Welsh artist and member of the Royal Institute.

SchulmanArt: What rituals do you have to get ready to create?
Alison Fennell: Usually I stop what errands I have been doing and have a sit down and a nice cup of tea and some biscuits to get myself together before going upstairs to paint. I always need to wash my hands as I have a paranoia of spoiling the hairs on my watercolor brushes. I also do a quick tidy around my painting area and have a clear deck on which to operate. I don't listen to anything and work in silence.

Artist's Studio, her painting diary is
SchulmanArt: What is your studio space like? what is the view out your studio window?  
Alison Fennell:I recently moved into my own property with a room totally dedicated to my art - it is wonderful to have a workstation for watercolour and one for pastel and I paint alongside a large North facing window which gives perfect non-glaring light in which to paint. My window overlooks my mid -terraced Welsh mine workers garden/yard and that of all the backs of other houses (photo attached) - the house was built in 1899 and is typical of that area.

SchulmanArt: Do you have any pets and do they keep you company while you create?
Allison's Dog Dotty is available from a UK card publisher
Alison Fennell: I have a Jack Russel but she tends to like to lie downstairs when I paint. That said throughout the day I have to go and sit with her and spend time in her company - I love dog energy and she is my baby.

Mentioned in this article @EastWitching