Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Schulman is EBSQ Blogger of the Week!

reprint of blog article Posted by Amanda Makepeace in Artist Interviews, Blogger of the Week on September 20, 2011

Who and where are you?
I am a full time watercolor artist who lives in Scarsdale New York with my musical children, sensitive husband and a quickly growing tuxedo kitten.

Art by Miriam Schulman

Wedding Keepsake, Order a watercolor painting of bridal bouquet

How did you get started art blogging?
My first blog post appeared November 2007 after reading an article in Art Calendar magazine. In the first few years the egocentric posts averaged about 4-5 per month. I sent out blogs to my email list of online collectors and they seemed to enjoy getting posts about my new work. This May I completely changed my philosophy towards my blog. I started writing 4-5 days per week and wrote about more than just my own art. My topics range from art shows I go to in New York, to social media tips I learn that I want to share with other artists, to color trends in decorating and fashion and more. Due to the breadth of topics and frequency of my posts I decided it was no longer appropriate to send my updates to my mailing list and started to build a following for my blog organically through google connect, twitter and facebook.

Art by Miriam Schulman
Warrior Spirit
Any tips for other EBSQ art bloggers?
Don’t underestimate the power of promoting others to increase exposure. Every post I do features someone besides me in a small or large way. Either they get a free advertisement on the bottom of my blog or I may be discussing their hand crafted item in my post. Not only does this make the blog more informative and interesting but all the other people who get featured work hard to promote my blog. A post about artist wardrobe staples was republished on the GAP’s website. The Metropolitan Museum of Art tweeted a post I did about getting inspired at the museum. Some self-representing artists also have large followings on their social networks which are very effective.

Art by Miriam Schulman
Watercolor Painting inspired by Alexander McQueen Fashion
What’s your musical inspiration of choice when you’re working in your studio?
I have three pairs of overalls/ rompers that I rotate as my painting uniform. Putting on the overalls signals to me that it is time to work. Playing music keeps me focused in my studio as well. I listen to anything from classical to Bruno Mars. I also like to make myself tea. My painting students enjoy hot tea and cookies when they come for painting lessons which keeps my classes social and fun.

Art by Miriam Schulman

Fashion Illustration inspired by Alexander McQueen

What can we expect to see next from your easel?
I am enjoying creating ethnic art with an eclectic culture clash. I mix African art with luminous watercolor, and far eastern art with a modern abstract twist. Living in New York’s backyard I have incredible resources for constant inspiration.