Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Find inspiration in the Simplest Things...

Interview with Artist Amanda Makepeace
by Miriam Schulman

etsy shop: naturescharms
SchulmanArt: How long have you been an artist?
Amanda Makepeace: I've always been a creative type, but it was when I was eight years old I discovered I might have some talent for drawing. Art had always been my mother's gift. As a child I loved asking her to draw my favorite toys. Those may have been my first lessons. My world changed in the fourth grade with an art assignment. We were asked to draw a silhouette. I chose to draw a dog's head and for the first time I realized what I had drawn on the paper actually looked like the animal it was suppose to represent. From that day on I was drawing and that grew into painting and so forth.

Cover Illustration by Makepeace
SchulmanArt: Where did you study art?
Amanda Makepeace: I did a year of art at University and decided it wasn't the right fit for me. I went onto to study English and then changed to Anthropology for my Bachelor's. When I lived abroad in London I did a year long course at Kensington & Chelsea College in the Creative Painting and Drawing, but by then I was already a published artist.

SchulmanArt: What are your inspirations?
Amanda Makepeace: The world around me. I've always been about the details and I find inspiration in some the simplest things, like a stone or a forgotten object from the past. Sometimes just a certain slant of light on the road can catch my eye.

Makepeace Studio
SchulmanArt: What has been your most exciting moment as an artist?
Amanda Makepeace: Receiving a check from Wiley & Sons for my painting to be on the cover of Developing Java Software, 3rd. Edition. I'll never forget that moment.

SchulmanArt: What rituals do you have to get ready to create?
Amanda Makepeace: Sometimes I like quiet, uninterrupted time while my daughter is at school. But some days I need something to get me going and that's usually either Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, Eddie Vedder or Adele.

SchulmanArt: What is your studio space like?
Amanda Makepeace: My studio is 1 part function to 2 parts a place of inspiration. I'm surrounding by the things that inspire me, bird's nests, stones and pebbles, leaves, rusty skeleton keys, old glass bottles, and various other little objects. The studio also doubles as my office. When I'm not painting I'm writing fiction or book reviews.
tweet her @amandamakepeace

SchulmanArt: Do you have any pets and do they keep you company while you create?
Amanda Makepeace: We have two cats, but Shadow (a.k.a. Attack Cat) is my studio cat. She's very attached to me. When she was a kitten in London I would shut the door to my studio, only to open two minutes later to ease her distress. She's usually either sitting on the ledge behind my laptop or on the small rug I keep by the door. I always feared she would get into my paints, but I've never once had a problem!

Amanda writes about her art and cats on her blog. You can also purchase her artwork from her website.